9:28 PM

Fabio explains Becks choice

Posted by Webmaster 11


Fabio Capello insists he was put under no pressure to name David Beckham as England captain for Sunday's friendly with Trinidad & Tobago.

Beckham will skipper the national team for the first time since relinquishing the armband after the 2006 World Cup quarter-final exit to Portugal.

But there have been suggestions that the midfielder has been handed the captaincy for the game to boost England's bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

England coach Capello, who has already used Steven Gerrard, Rio Ferdinand and John Terry as captains since he took charge, is adamant there was no influence from the Football Association when it came to selecting his latest skipper.

"Beckham will be captain tomorrow, but the appointment is not a political move," said Capello.

"I work for the game - not the political side of things.

"The political side is for the FA and they have not suggested to me that Beckham should be captain tomorrow. There was no pressure put on me.

"No-one could do that to me. I decided as I have decided throughout my life and when I was manager of a club. Beckham was very happy when I told him today."

Capello has also not ruled Beckham out of the running to become England's captain for the 2010 World Cup qualifiers, which start in September.

He said: "We had the four games and he was one of the players I was considering to be captain for a game along with Steven Gerrard, Rio Ferdinand and John Terry.

"I know he gave up the England captaincy a couple of years ago, but you can never say never. He was captain for a long time.

"Will he start the World Cup qualifiers? We will have to wait and see, but David Beckham played well in the first half against the USA and will be captain tomorrow."

Capello worked with Beckham during his time as Real Madrid coach and acknowledged the pair had a fractious relationship during the early stages, particularly after the 33-year-old agreed a move to LA Galaxy.

However, the Italian eventually brought the former Manchester United star back into his plans as Beckham played a key role in Real's 2006/07 title success.

"I know David very well from our time together at Real Madrid and he did well for me after some problems at the start," added Capello.

"I can change my mind about things and only stupid people never change their mind. He was very important for Real at the end."

0 comments: