Midfielder Maniche feels he has been betrayed by Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari after being left out of the Euro 2008 squad.

Maniche, who is on loan at Internazionale from Atletico Madrid, claims he was told by Scolari that he would feature in the squad and was "heartbroken" to find his name had been omitted.

"In my last appearance with national team, he (Scolari) said he would name me because it could be my last European Championship. I am heartbroken," the 30-year-old said to Portuguese broadcaster TVI.

"I want to share my sadness with the Portuguese fans because I have shared so many joys with them."

Despite the Euros now being out of the question, Maniche remains upbeat about the future and will not consider quitting international football.

"I have to raise my head and move on. I am really proud of my achievements," he continued.

"I am about to become Italian champion and have helped Atletico Madrid reach the pre-qualifying of the Champions League.

"Am I about to quit the national team? No. I love playing for Portugal and always felt enormously proud to do it."

While Maniche was excluded, his younger brother Jorge Ribeiro was on Scolari's list.

And the former Chelsea midfielder - who starred at Euro 2004 and the 2006 World Cup - insists he is happy for his sibling to take up his mantle.

"I feel enormous pride to know that I can see my brother playing for Portugal," he said.

0 comments: